1/2 Photos of Achingya Thoren (Kerala Style Green Bean Curry)
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from Kerala region of India. A thoren is a dry curry made from chopped vegetables, coconut, mustard seed and curry leaves.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 fresh curry leaves or 4 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup coconut (finely shredded dried unsweetened)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon raw rice
- 2 whole dried hot red chiles, stemmed
- 3/4 lb green beans, trimmed and sliced crosswise into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Finely chop 5 of the curry leaves (1 bay leaf not chopped), and put in a medium bowl. Add coconut, cumin, cayenne, turmeric, and garlic, and mix well.
- 2Add enough water (about 7 tbsp) to make coconut mixture moist enough to just hold together when pinched between thumb and forefinger, then set aside.
- 3Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and rice, and fry until mustard seeds pop, about 2 minutes. Add chiles, fry for a few seconds, and carefully add remaining 10 curry leaves (3 bay leaves). Be careful - leaves will spatter when they hit the hot oil.
- 4When leaves have crackled but are still green, about 30 seconds, add green beans, salt, and 2 tbsp water, and stir to mix well. Cook, stirring often, until beans begin to soften yet are still slightly crunchy, about 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in reserved coconut mixture, and cook, stirring often, until beans are tender, about 5 minutes more. Add salt to taste.
- 6Do not eat curry or bay leaves - remove as you find them.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Achingya Thoren (Kerala Style Green Bean Curry)
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.0
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 396.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: