1 hr 10 mins
MA Blossom's Note:
This is an adaptation of Aloo Gobi Mattar Aloo Gobi Mattar - Cauliflower, Pea and Potato Curry - a very tasty recipe. All I have done is rewrite it with the ingredients in the order they are used. At this time, I have only prepared it once. I used a combination of olive oil and butter for cooking, ginger paste in lieu of all of the fresh ginger, vegetable stock, and went without the hot green chili pepper, fenugreek seeds and fresh cilantro as I did not have them on hand. This dish is an excellent addition to any Indian meal and equally good reheated the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons ghee or 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 2 large onions, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 1 medium hot green chili pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons white pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2 to 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated (including juice)
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1Heat oil over high heat in a large wok, karahi, or deep nonstick pan. Add onions and cumin seeds, and cook until onion are translucent.
- 2Add minced garlic, minced ginger and chili pepper. Saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3Add all remaining spices including salt. Stir well.
- 4Immediately add potatoes and stir until coated in oil and spices. Turn heat down to medium and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 5Add stock, then put lid on pan, lower heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 6Add the cauliflower florets, grated ginger and lemon juice. Stir well. Replace lid, turn heat to low, and let simmer for about 10 minutes. If the ingredients are sticking to the pan, you can add a bit more stock or 1/4 cup of water.
- 7Add frozen peas to pan, and stir ingredients. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- 8Turn off heat. Add half of the fresh cilantro and mix thoroughly. Replace the lid and allow to rest for 10 minutes before adjusting salt to taste. Garnish with remaining fresh cilantro.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aloo Gobi Mattar
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.3
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 464.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: