bluemoon downunder's Note:
Described on the website where I found it as a Rajasthani main course potato dish, Aloo Ka Saag is probably what most of us would classify as a side dish. I’ve not made this recipe as I’ve only just found it and I’m posting it for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. I’ve posted the ingredients exactly as listed in the recipe on http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/FreeSection/result.asp?passid=4522. Adjust the spiciness to suit your taste preferences. In what I’ve set out as step three, the recipe said “cook for some time”, so it would be helpful if you could mention in reviews just how long you cooked it for at this point. Since the potatoes are already cooked, my guess is that “some time” would not in fact be longer than 10 minutes. For this reason, my cooking time below is a guesstimate. The Zaar Kitchen Dictionary suggests that garlic powder or onion powder can be used as a substitute for asafetida powder.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the potatoes, cool, peel and cut them into small cubes and set aside; peel and wash the ginger and set aside; remove the stems, wash and roughly chop the green chillies and grind them to a fine paste and set aside; and whip the yoghurt until it is smooth.
- 2Heat the oil in a pan, and add the asafoetida, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, ginger and the green chilli paste. Sauté for two minutes; then add the potato pieces, and mix well.
- 3Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, green cardamom powder, salt and cook for some time.
- 4Add the yoghurt and cook stirring continuously. Then add half a cup of water and mix well. Cook until it starts boiling.
- 5Remove the Aloo Ka Saag pan from the heat and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aloo Ka Saag
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.1
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 7.9 mg
- Sodium 40.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: