Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe tastes great and isn't complicated to make. Perfect served over rice with naan bread for dipping. Garnish with some fresh cilantro if desired.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream (I use fat free cream)
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream or 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter, until onions are soft.
- Slice chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
- Combine spices (except garam masala) and toss chicken pieces until well coated.
- Add the chicken to the onions and saute until the chicken is lightly browned on all sides.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, combine the cream, tomato sauce, sour cream and garam masala with a whisk, then pour over chicken mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, making sure that chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro if desired.
I have tried many Butter Chicken recipes and this one is the best! The chicken is tender and it makes a lot of sauce for dipping. I used 4 chicken breasts and there was still plenty. Prefect blend of spices and just the right amount of heat. I use regular whipping cream and yogurt because that it what I usually have on hand. It is so good I hesitate to use anything else. Thanks so much for posting.
Great recipe, absolutely awesome! My family and I love butter chicken from Indian restaurants, but I wanted to try my hand at making it myself. Many recipes called for spices I didn't have or took a long time so I gave this one a shot, glad I did! I made mine with heavy whipping cream, plain yogurt, and doubled the recipe to have enough for my family and made extra spice (the ones you mix the chicken with) in case the recipe needed it. It didn't, came out wonderfully! Thanks so much