Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
a sort of eggplant curry. Recipe given by a wonderful Punjabi cook.
Make and share this Baingan Ka Bharta (Indian-Punjabi Style) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 eggplant (should be big & fat)
- 5 -6 big onions, finely chopped
- 7 -8 green chilies
- 2 tablespoons fine cut fresh ginger
- 5 -6 big tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dhaniya powder (coriander)
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon jeera powder, cumin seeds for saute
- coriander leaves, coarsly chopped (to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch hing (Asafoetida)
- Set oven to broil on high. Grease the Egg Plant with some oil, poke 2 or three holes (so it doesn't explode)and put it in the oven. Keep checking it till the outer skin starts cracking and can be peeled off easily. You want the skin to burn a little so the eggplant has a smokey flavor.
- Allow the eggplant to cool a little. Peel the outer skin of the eggplant under cold water.
- When the skin is removed, mash the eggplant well so that it has an even consistency, you can keep seeds or remove them based on your preferance.
- Put some oil in a pan. When hot, put hing (Asafoetida)and Jeera (cumin seeds)in. After a minute or so, when the cumin seeds begin to turn darker and give off aroma, add the finely chopped onions.
- When the onions are light golden brown, add the finely cut green chillies and ginger to it.
- Heat the mixture for 2-3 minutes. Then add tomatoes and stir until this masala is pulpy and seperates from the oil.
- Add all the masalas and add the eggplant to it. Stir it well and crush the eggplant as much as possible.
- Heat and stir it until the egg plant is well blended into the onion and tomato paste mixture.
- The more you sauté it, the more enhanced the flavor becomes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Parathas or Roti (Indian flat bread).