Taken from ZoePaelologa's LiveJournal at http://zoepaleologa.livejournal.com/164463.html. If you leave out the turmeric, the color will not be quite as vibrant.
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt, plus
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 ounces ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed bay leaf (crush to a powder or process in a coffee grinder before measuring)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves (do not omit these they are essential to the rich aroma)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons turmeric (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot (about a 1-inch piece, peeled)
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- fresh cilantro stem, to garnish
- In a large zip top bag, combine the yogurt, ground almonds, spices, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and salt. Add the chicken, press out as much air as possible and seal the bag. Refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Melt the butter and oil in your wok or saute pan. Saute the onions over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken mixture, including all the marinade. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Add half the cilantro.
- Pour in the half-and-half and stir well. Bring to a boil, then immediately switch off heat. Serve garnished with the remaining chopped cilantro and sprigs.
This recipe was very good but still needed something else for punch. I marinated it the entire 4 hours. Will try again with something to add spice.
Delicious version of butter chicken and so easy to make. I followed the recipe, using chicken thighs (and only one teaspoon of chili powder). Because of the sheer volume of meat, my chicken took almost 15 minutes to cook through. Served and thoroughly enjoyed as part of a curry feast.