Taken from ZoePaelologa's LiveJournal at http://zoepaleologa.livejournal.com/164463.html. If you leave out the turmeric, the color will not be quite as vibrant.
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt, plus
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 ounces ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed bay leaf (crush to a powder or process in a coffee grinder before measuring)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves (do not omit these they are essential to the rich aroma)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons turmeric (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot (about a 1-inch piece, peeled)
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- fresh cilantro stem, to garnish
- In a large zip top bag, combine the yogurt, ground almonds, spices, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and salt. Add the chicken, press out as much air as possible and seal the bag. Refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Melt the butter and oil in your wok or saute pan. Saute the onions over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken mixture, including all the marinade. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Add half the cilantro.
- Pour in the half-and-half and stir well. Bring to a boil, then immediately switch off heat. Serve garnished with the remaining chopped cilantro and sprigs.