Enjoy, can be made a day ahead.
Make and share this Beef Rendang recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 kg beef chuck steaks
- 1 stem fresh lemongrass, chopped
- 2 small fresh red chilies, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thickly sliced,extra
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 fresh curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 (425 ml) can coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cut beef into 3cm pieces.
- Process lemongrass, chillies, onion, garlic and ginger until smooth.
- Heat oil in pan, add extra onion and ground spices, cook, stirring, until onion is soft.
- Add lemongrass mixture, cook, stirring until fragrant.
- Stir in beef, cinnamon, torn curry leaves, sugar and coconut milk, simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Remove lid, simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender and mixture thick.
- Discard cinnamon, stick in juice.