Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Potatoes are one of my favourite vegetables. This dish is deliciously spicy.
Make and share this Bombay Potato recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb whole new potato, scrubbed
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 whole dried chilies
- 6 -8 curry leaves, fresh
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 ounces fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafetida powder
- lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- Place the ingredients for the spice mix in a little bowl and set aside.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water, to which has been added a pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric. When tender, drain the potatoes and mash coarsely. Set aside.
- In a heavy based skillet, heat the oil and saute the curry leaves and dried red chillies until the chillies have darkened in color.
- Add the onions, chopped green chillies, cilantro leaves, remaining 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, the asafoetida and the spice mix, and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Fold in the potatoes and a little water to just moisten.
- Mix well to ensure even distribution of spices, and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, but taking care not to mash the potatoes further.
- Add some lemon juice to taste and serve immediately.