1 hr 15 mins
With a lot of time and effort, I was able to coax this recipe from the owner of a local Indian restaurant. The restaurant is known for their Butter Chicken. They use a clay oven for cooking, most of us don't have that luxury and a barbeque will suffice. Some caution, this dish is extremely rich, use it for those special occasions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb melted butter
- 1 (20 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 liter whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- minced red chili peppers or green chili pepper (according to taste)
- minced ginger, sauted (according to taste)
- fresh cilantro
- chicken breasts marinated in tandoori paste (found in Indian markets or ethnic section)
- 1Cook marinated chicken on barbeque or oven.
- 2Cut into chunks once done.
- 3Melt the butter.
- 4Add in tomato sauce, salt, sugar, white pepper, parsley and whipping cream.
- 5Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often.
- 6Add water according to desired thickness.
- 7Mixture should not be runny or too thick- should be thick enough to coat a spoon.
- 8Add in garlic powder, chili pepper(s) and ginger powder, stir.
- 9Add chicken chunks to mixture.
- 10Stir in sauted ginger and fresh cilantro.
- 11These are optional ingredients, adjust use according to taste.
- 12Stir mixture until chicken is thoroughly coated.
- 13Remove from heat.
- 14Butter chicken is traditionally eaten with an Indian bread called'naan'.
- 15It can also be eaten on a bed of rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butter Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.5
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.6 g
- Saturated Fat 29.1 g
- Cholesterol 147.3 mg
- Sodium 2099.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 3.5 g