Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
this recipe is from the food section of the ottawa citizen newspaper, it is from a popular indian restaurant in ottawa, ontario. this is very high in cholesterol but we just have to have this at least twice a year. i love indian food and go to a lot of indian restaurants and i have never found a better butter chicken recipe anywhere.
- tandoori chicken: with a sharp knife, make regular slits in chicken.
- rub salt into chicken and put in a large bowl to hold all the pieces in a single layer.
- Combine chili powder, pepper, ginger, garlic and paprika in a bowl, add yogurt and lemon juice and stir to blend.
- Pour over chicken and marinate for 10-12 hours in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Remove chicken from marinade (reserve marinade) and put on a wire rack over a pan and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- remove from oven and cut in 1" cubes.
- Butter Chicken: in a saute pan melt butter.
- add reserved marinade and whipping cream and heat thoroughly to a temperature of a least 140F.
- for 2 minutes.
- Do not boil.
- Stir in cubed chicken and heat through.
- serve with basmatti rice.
I loved it, soo easy to make
I brought it to Work, and people went crazy for it
Good! I have tried only one butter chicken dish from a restaurant in Ottawa and it was sweet. This recipe was not. I wonder what restaurant this is from? I made our version less spicy by substituting a bit of cayenne pepper powder and some sweet paprika in place of the Indian chili powder. I used sea salt, plus the rest of the ingredients. I found the sauce a bit too thin but maybe that is how it is supposed to be? I served this over a cumin Basmati rice dish, along with Cucumber-Tomato Raita for a good tasting meal. The only reason I won't try this recipe again is because we are lactose intolerant.
OMG I haven't rated this yer ... My kids went mad over this simple and delicios recipe. Thanks for sharing ;-)