Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 8 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Its a bit of work but its the best butter chicken I have ever had! tofu also works well (just add two packs of extra firm tofu cubed instead of the chicken) as it absorbs the flavors almost better than the chicjken. Everyone always requests this
- 2 lbs chicken, washed skin and fat removed and cut into bite sizes
- 1 large onion, pureed
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 3 medium tomatoes, pureed
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons butter, for basting
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of natural red food coloring
- green chili
- cilantro (to garnish)
- marinade chicken or tofu.
- In a baking dish place chicken or tofu pieces pour lemon juice on top. Add.
- a pinch of salt mix and leave aside for 15 minutes
- whisk together yogurt 1 tsbp of the garam marsala, food colouring, 1 tsp of the garlic 1 tbsp of the ginger.
- Add to the baking dish. mix and coat pieces.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Baking instructions.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- mix the remaining spices in a pot and cook on low heat with a bit of the butter add the remaining garlic and ginger cook for about a minute sautee.
- add tomato and onion cook for about 10 mins on meduim heat
- turn off heat.
- add cream and butter
- now pour mixture over chicken in baking dish mix until pieces are all coated.
- cover the dish and bake untill meat is done about 20 minutes. stir in fress cilantro and serve.