William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
I spent a considerable of time in the Fijian Islands and fell in love with the type of food the "Indians" (East Indians) cooked. Most of their soups were spicy hot, but very tasty. I was not able to get their recipes, so I developed my own. This is one of my East Indian recipes that is enjoyed by all of our East Indian friends.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups water
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 large celery ribs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons garam masala or 3 teaspoons curry powder (of your choice)
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk, homogenized
- 6 tablespoons instant potato flakes (Idaho suggested)
- 1In a large saucepan or cooking pot, measure water and bring to boil.
- 2Add chopped carrots, diced potatoes, chopped celery and chopped onion and return to boil.
- 3Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1/2 hour or until carrots are tender.
- 4Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- 5In a food processor or blender, puree' soup in batches until smooth and return to saucepan.
- 6Add soy sauce, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, curry powder, whole milk, instant potato flakes and return to boil.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 9Serve hot along with cooked rice.
- 10You can also use vegetable broth or chicken broth instead of water.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Soup Indienne
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 79.0
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 304.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 3.0 g