The name of this dish translates to CHICKEN IN YOGURT. This is a classic Indian dish and is gorgeous. Prepare the chicken the day before cooking it. Cooking time is only 30 mins.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and jointed
- 5 ounces plain yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch cube gingerroot, chopped
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 fresh green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Cut the chicken joints into two.
- In blender process the yogurt, garlic, ginger, red chillies, turmeric, and ground coriander, till smooth.
- In a large bowl put the chicken and cover with the spice mix, stir well and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer the chicken and its marinade to a pot, cover with a lid and cook over medium heat till the chicken is tender. Remove from the heat.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil. fry the onions till brown. Add the chicken and fry for 4 mins stirring a few times.
- Add the green chillies, salt and garam masala, cook for 3 minutes Remove from the heat, stir in half of the coriander leaves.
- Serve with the remaining coriander leaves sprinkled on top.