1 hr 30 mins
Alan Leonetti's Note:
Do not confuse Masala with Marsala Wine. This is an East Indian dish that is GREAT! NOTE: The Prep Time and Cooking Time does NOT reflect the 4 hours of refrigerated marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CHICKEN RECIPE
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 inches fresh ginger (peeled)
- 8 cloves garlic
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- salt & pepper
FOR THE MASALA SAUCE RECIPE
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1/2 lb green bell pepper (stemmed, seeded and chopped)
- 1/2 inch ginger (peeled)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala, spice mixture (available in Indian or Specialty Markets)
- 1CHICKEN RECIPE: In a large bowl, combine yogurt, vegetable oil, lemon juice, 4 teaspoons of the ginger/garlic paste that you made in the blender, cumin, mace, nutmeg, cardamom, salt and pepper and mix well.
- 2Rub the chicken breasts thoroughly with this mixture and place in a glass baking dish, cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 4Remove chicken breasts from marinade and discard remaining marinade.
- 5Place the chicken in a baking dish.
- 6Roast for 8 to 10 minutes, basting with vegetable oil and pan drippings at least twice.
- 7When the chicken is tender and cooked through and its juices run clear, remove from the oven and keep warm.
- 8Just before serving, slice the cooked chicken and place it in the simmering masala sauce for a few minutes, until heated through.
- 9Serve hot.
- 10MASALA SAUCE RECIPE: About half an hour before you finish marinating the chicken, start the masala sauce.
- 11Place tomatoes and green bell peppers in a saucepot.
- 12Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- 13Boil for 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- 14While the tomatoes and peppers are cooking, cut the half inch piece of ginger into several smaller pieces and place in blender.
- 15Add garlic cloves and water and puree.
- 16When tomatoes and peppers are nearly done, reduce heat to medium, add 2 teaspoons of the ginger/garlic paste and cook for about 2 minutes.
- 17Reduce heat to low, stir in the garam masala and salt and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until the liquid is the consistency of a thick puree.
- 18Remove pan from heat, strain and return sauce to the pot and bring to a boil.
- 19Reduce heat to low, stir in butter, cream and honey and simmer gently until ready to add the chicken and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tikka Masala: (East Indian Cuisine)
Serving Size: 1 (1122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1230.2
- Calories from Fat 810
- Total Fat 90.0 g
- Saturated Fat 48.3 g
- Cholesterol 356.3 mg
- Sodium 269.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 27.0 g
- Protein 66.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: