All balti dishes are eay and quick to cook. The addition a potato in this recipe bulks out the dish as only a small amount of chicken is used. This is a hot one.
- 8 ounces skinless chicken, and cubed
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed (not ground)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed to a pulp
- 1 teaspoon ginger, pulp
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 1⁄2 pint warm water
- 1⁄4 pint malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped
- In a bowl mix together the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, chilli power, turmeric, garlic pulp, ginger pulp, salt, paprika, tomato puree, fenugreek with the water and vinegar.
- Add the chicken and allow to stand till needed.
- In a wok heat the oil and fry the onion and curry leaves till golden.
- Reduce the heat and add the chicken with the spice mix and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the potato, cover the wok with a lid and cook over low heat till the potato is cooked.
- Garnish with green chillies.
Chef #61569 and I were together when we made this tasty dish. As she mentioned, we cut back on the heat (to cater for tamer tastebuds) and had to replace the curry leaves with bay leaves. I felt a little something was missing and am very keen to try this again when I can make it using proper curry leaves. That said, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Thanks for sharing so many fine recipes.
We made this recipe with less heat and no curry leaves. Had to use bay leaves instead. I really liked the sharpness of vinegar taste to this curry which reminded me a bit of adobo but tastier. Thank you for posting this recipe Brian. I intend to try most of your Indian inspired recipes.
Scrumptious and spicy (be careful with the chopped green chilis)...the combo of spices and malt vinegar flavor is so good. It wasn't quick for me. I had it cooking for about half an hour and the potato still wasn't done but the chicken was overdone. I wonder if I shouldn't have put all the liquids into the wok with the chicken. The Indian market was out of curry leaves so on their recommendation I used curry leaf powder, which is different than curry powder and gave this an authentic flavor.