All balti dishes are eay and quick to cook. The addition a potato in this recipe bulks out the dish as only a small amount of chicken is used. This is a hot one.
- 8 ounces skinless chicken, and cubed
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed (not ground)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed to a pulp
- 1 teaspoon ginger, pulp
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 1⁄2 pint warm water
- 1⁄4 pint malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped
- In a bowl mix together the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, chilli power, turmeric, garlic pulp, ginger pulp, salt, paprika, tomato puree, fenugreek with the water and vinegar.
- Add the chicken and allow to stand till needed.
- In a wok heat the oil and fry the onion and curry leaves till golden.
- Reduce the heat and add the chicken with the spice mix and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the potato, cover the wok with a lid and cook over low heat till the potato is cooked.
- Garnish with green chillies.