Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This salad comes from North India and tastes excellent served with beer as a first course. I have also eaten it as a packed lunch. A lovely combo of flavours and textures. The original recipe calls for unroasted and unsalted peanuts, but I find the roasted, salted and esily available peanuts work great and that's what I use. Omit or reduce the chillies if desired. Recipe source is a book I borrowed from the library. The book is written in German but has been previously published in English with the title 'Food of India'.
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 7 ounces cucumbers (200g)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces ripe tomatoes, finely cubed (100g)
- 3 -4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 red chile, very finely chopped (omit or reduce amount to suit your taste)
- 1 green chili, very finely chopped (omit or reduce amount to suit your taste)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oil (I use sunflower)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chat masala
- 125 g salted peanuts, roughly chopped (see introduction)
- salt (to taste)
- Mix red onion, cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro, chilli, lemon juice, oil, pepper and chaat masala in a bowl and mix well. This could be done some hours in advance as the flavours will improve.
- Just before serving, add the chopped peanuts and taste if extra salt is necessary.