Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you are a curry lover then please give this a try, I have made this many times in the past, it is delicious! I like to add in spinach but that is only optional. I have only used basmati rice for this dish (I purchase a 12 ounce box of basmati rice) but you may use white uncooked rice also, personally I really think that this dish is worth making with basmati only. To make this extra special sprinkle I have sprinkled it with toasted almonds before serving. Use a good-quality coconut milk for this! This can also be made with cubed chicken breast, but pork is better, and the complete recipe can be doubled, you might want to cut the water back by 1/4 cup if you are doubling the recipe use only 3/4 cup water.
- 2 -4 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into about 2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (can use a little more if desired)
- 3 -4 large carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into about 1-inch half-moons
- 1 big onion, chopped
- fresh garlic (optional)
- 1 (13 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup water
- pepper (optional)
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) boxuncooked basmati rice or 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, drained (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large deep oven-proof pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the pork in 2 batches about 3 minutes per batch; set aside to a plate.
- Return meat to the pot.
- Add in curry powder, carrots and onion (and garlic if using); cook about 5 minutes.
- Add in coconut milk, chicken broth, water and salt; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, chickpeas and spinach, cover with lid.
- Place in oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Let stand, covered for 5 minutes before serving.