If you are a curry lover then please give this a try, I have made this many times in the past, it is delicious! I like to add in spinach but that is only optional. I have only used basmati rice for this dish (I purchase a 12 ounce box of basmati rice) but you may use white uncooked rice also, personally I really think that this dish is worth making with basmati only. To make this extra special sprinkle I have sprinkled it with toasted almonds before serving. Use a good-quality coconut milk for this! This can also be made with cubed chicken breast, but pork is better, and the complete recipe can be doubled, you might want to cut the water back by 1/4 cup if you are doubling the recipe use only 3/4 cup water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -4 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into about 2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (can use a little more if desired)
- 3 -4 large carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into about 1-inch half-moons
- 1 big onion, chopped
- fresh garlic (optional)
- 1 (13 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- pepper (optional)
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) box uncooked basmati rice or 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, drained (optional)
- 1Heat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a large deep oven-proof pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 3Brown the pork in 2 batches about 3 minutes per batch; set aside to a plate.
- 4Return meat to the pot.
- 5Add in curry powder, carrots and onion (and garlic if using); cook about 5 minutes.
- 6Add in coconut milk, chicken broth, water and salt; bring to a boil.
- 7Stir in rice, chickpeas and spinach, cover with lid.
- 8Place in oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- 9Let stand, covered for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Curry Pork and Rice Bake
Serving Size: 1 (570 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1318.7
- Calories from Fat 652
- Total Fat 72.5 g
- Saturated Fat 33.4 g
- Cholesterol 161.0 mg
- Sodium 936.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 57.7 g