1/3 Photos of Creamy Lentil "risotto" (Kichdi)
This is my version of my mom's recipe that was made for us so often while growing up. This is sort of the Indian cousin of the risotto, since the rice grains are not separate but cooked to a porridge-like consistency. It is immensely flavorful even in the simple version I have written, but you can make a heartier version by adding extra veggies to it too. My mom used to add carrots, potatoes, and peas to it sometimes. It's delicious with pickles or a simple vegetable curry, but can be eaten by itself with a dab of butter to make it even more creamy. You'll find there is nothing too distinctive about the ingredients in this recipe, but the technique of cooking is what makes this dish decidedly different from regular pilafs etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml basmati rice
- 236.59 ml assorted lentils (I use 1/3 cup each of mung, chana, masoor)
- 2.46 ml turmeric powder (check the color, add more if needed till yellow)
- 59.16-88.74 ml ghee (opt for the upper limit for a richer flavor)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 6 cardamom pods
- 14.78 ml cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- salt, to taste
- lemon juice (optional)
- cilantro, to garnish
- 1Rinse the rice and lentils in several changes of water, and let soak for 1-4 hours. Drain.
- 2Add enough water to cover the lentils and rice by 1 inch, and bring to a boil (try to remove any foam that may rise to the top during this process).
- 3Reduce heat and add turmeric and salt.
- 4Cover and let simmer on LOW heat until rice and lentils are tender, about 30mins.
- 5Keep checking to see if water needs replenishing, you don't want it to dry out. Stir often so it doesn't stick at the bottom.
- 6Keep adding water till rice is overcooked (grains no longer separate) and you have a thick porridge-like consistency. (You have to play it by ear and add water to thin the consistency or increase heat for a thicker mixture).
- 7In a small saucepan, heat ghee and then add the cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom and cumin seeds.
- 8When they are fragrant and splutter, add the onion and garlic and cook till onion is softened.
- 9Pour this mixture into the lentil-rice mixture and stir to combine well.
- 10Just before serving serving, drizzle with lemon juice if desired.
- 11(Note: This dish is best served hot immediately. It will thicken a lot as it cools, so if you plan to reheat it, add more water as you reheat it, till it's a soupy consistency again).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Lentil "risotto" (Kichdi)
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.2
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.1 mg
- Sodium 3.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: