Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of my favourite recipes. It has such a wonderfully complex mix of flavours. Worth the effort! Enjoy!
- 1 cup uncooked chicken, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 2 tart apples, pared and chopped (if sweet do not add sugar)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (to taste)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, snipped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cup cooked rice
- Cook chicken, onion, celery, and apple in melted butter in a large saucepan or dutch oven until lightly browned.
- Stir in flour and curry powder. Gradually add chicken broth, stirring constantly.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. cook, covered, over low heat until chicken is tender.
- Remove and reserve chicken. Strain soup, discarding cloves.
- Puree vegetables in an electric blender or food processor. Return soup and vegetable puree to saucepan. Mix in chicken and heat to serving temperature.
- Mix in hot cooked rice and serve.