Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My best friend is Indian and I got this from her. It is simple, authentic, and very flavorful. The ingredients can be easily tweaked to please even the most finicky of cooks. Very versatile and tasty!
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 fresh curry leaves (optional) or 10 curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup water (or less if adding frozen cooked shrimp)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan over nearly high heat.
- Add the onions; cook and stir until browned.
- Mix in the curry leaves (or curry powder), then season with the ginger, garlic, coriander and salt.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and turmeric, then mix in the tomato, chile powder, shrimp and water.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until shrimp are opaque.
- Taste and adjust salt and chile powder if necessary.
- Season with garam masala, stir and remove from the heat.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with flat bread or rice.