My best friend is Indian and I got this from her. It is simple, authentic, and very flavorful. The ingredients can be easily tweaked to please even the most finicky of cooks. Very versatile and tasty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 fresh curry leaves (optional) or 10 curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup water (or less if adding frozen cooked shrimp)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan over nearly high heat.
- 2Add the onions; cook and stir until browned.
- 3Mix in the curry leaves (or curry powder), then season with the ginger, garlic, coriander and salt.
- 4Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- 5Season with salt and turmeric, then mix in the tomato, chile powder, shrimp and water.
- 6Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until shrimp are opaque.
- 7Taste and adjust salt and chile powder if necessary.
- 8Season with garam masala, stir and remove from the heat.
- 9Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with flat bread or rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Curried Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.4
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 345.6 mg
- Sodium 734.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 47.1 g