Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
For comfort food with a touch of the exotic, this dhal is quite simple but soooo tasty and has become a staple of our diet.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 lbs canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In large saucepan, warm olive oil and add garlic and onion. Saute, stirring 2-3 minutes. Add turmeric, garam masala, chili powder, and cumin.
- Stir in tomatoes, lentils, lemon juice, vegetable stock, coconut milk, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Serve warm. You can garnish with lemon slices and cilantro if desired. Also good with naan bread.
Definitely a comfort food! We really loved this soup and it was filling enough to have for dinner. I used tomato sauce because I realized I was out of canned tomatoes half way into making the soup. It still came out great.
It is good quick soup. I did not add lemon juice as I found it had enough acidity from canned tomatoes. I would prefer this soup be more thick, but I know that is how it should be. I loved the addition of coconut milk. I did not have cilantro but I am sure it would be very tasty. I gave 4 stars mainly because my family like thicker soups, but for taste I am giving 5 stars. Very easy and fast (hands on time) to make. Healthy and low cost. Thank you.
Awesome! We make this all the time now! Even better as a left over because all the flavors combine over night. :)