This recipe comes from a local Indian restaurant here in my hometown. You can substitute chicken or fish for the tofu.
- 2 lbs firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 large green pepper, sliced into 2 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté tofu pieces until crispy and browned. Remove tofu from skillet and set aside.
- Sauté onion and green pepper until onion is translucent then add ginger and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 min until fragrant, then stir in the curry powder.
- Return tofu to skillet and add tomato sauce, coconut milk, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Season with salt and pepper.and stir all together.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.