1 hr 20 mins
David J Rust's Note:
I'm very fond of curries; I've made many. The first time I tried this, it was a bit on the spicy side but -more than that- suffering from too much liquid. The Garam Masala didn't really work with that amount of fluidity ... even when thickened. I realized the the spice blend needed to be hot, yes, but it also needed more natural sweetness and less liquid. This version achieved that, muchly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 medium white onions, frenched
- 8 ounces dried apricots, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut on the bias into 1-inch - 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 3 teaspoons cayenne
- 8 medium tomatoes, diced
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans (drained)
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into bite-size florettes
- 15 ounces coconut milk, canned
- 1In a large pot, heat the sesame oil over a medium flame until hot. Add the onion, dried apricots, carrot, ginger root, and garlic; stir occasionally and cook until the onion turns translucent. Add salt and pepper to taste (about a pinch) but be careful not to brown the onions.
- 2Mix the chicken thigh meat with the cayenne pepper and half of the Masala; stir the seasoned meat into the vegetables. Cook until the chicken is opaque.
- 3Add the tomatoes and garbonzo beans; stir into the meat and vegetables. Cook until the liquid of the tomatoes comes to a simmer.
- 4Add the cauliflower, coconut milk, and remaining Masala. Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to "low". Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 20 - 30 minutes.
- 5Remove the cover, increase the heat to "medium" and reduce the thickness of the broth to a desired consistency.
- 6Ladle equal portions into bowls with either Basmati rice or potatoes.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garam Masala Tomato Chicken Curry
Serving Size: 1 (536 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 680.3
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 95.5 mg
- Sodium 414.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 52.3 g
- Protein 27.4 g