1 hr 20 mins
David J Rust's Note:
I'm very fond of curries; I've made many. The first time I tried this, it was a bit on the spicy side but -more than that- suffering from too much liquid. The Garam Masala didn't really work with that amount of fluidity ... even when thickened. I realized the the spice blend needed to be hot, yes, but it also needed more natural sweetness and less liquid. This version achieved that, muchly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 medium white onions, frenched
- 8 ounces dried apricots, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut on the bias into 1-inch - 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 3 teaspoons cayenne
- 8 medium tomatoes, diced
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans (drained)
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into bite-size florettes
- 15 ounces coconut milk, canned
- 1In a large pot, heat the sesame oil over a medium flame until hot. Add the onion, dried apricots, carrot, ginger root, and garlic; stir occasionally and cook until the onion turns translucent. Add salt and pepper to taste (about a pinch) but be careful not to brown the onions.
- 2Mix the chicken thigh meat with the cayenne pepper and half of the Masala; stir the seasoned meat into the vegetables. Cook until the chicken is opaque.
- 3Add the tomatoes and garbonzo beans; stir into the meat and vegetables. Cook until the liquid of the tomatoes comes to a simmer.
- 4Add the cauliflower, coconut milk, and remaining Masala. Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to "low". Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 20 - 30 minutes.
- 5Remove the cover, increase the heat to "medium" and reduce the thickness of the broth to a desired consistency.
- 6Ladle equal portions into bowls with either Basmati rice or potatoes.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garam Masala Tomato Chicken Curry
Serving Size: 1 (536 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 680.3
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 95.5 mg
- Sodium 414.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 52.3 g
- Protein 27.4 g