1 hr 30 mins
Gari is an Indian vegetarian vindaloo in which vegetables are cooked in a tamarind-based sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup peanut oil or 3/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs onions, peeled and thinly slice
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and slivered
- 3/4-1 lb new potato, unpeeled,cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb mixed vegetables (zucchini, carrots, green pepper, cauliflower, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 hot green chilies, trimmed and chopped,seeds included (about 1/4C)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste (or substitute 1 TBS lime juice & 1 tsp molasses)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala (indian spice mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cardamom seed, de-podded
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup fresh peas or 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 2Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet, add the onion and garlic, and lower the heat to medium.
- 3Fry at medium-high heat until the onion starts to brown (about 10 minutes).
- 4Set aside, off the heat.
- 5Drop the potatoes in the boiling water and boil 10 minutes.
- 6Drain and set aside.
- 7Slice the vegetables about 1/2 inch thick.
- 8Place the skillet with the onion back on low heat and add paprika, turmeric, fenugreek, ginger, salt, and green chiles.
- 9Reheat until sizzling a bit and add 2/3 C water.
- 10Stir in the vegetables (except the peas) and the potatoes.
- 11Simmer 20 minutes, covered.
- 12Remove about 1/2 C of hot liquid from the pot, place in a deep bowl, and add the tamarind concentrate, stirring fiercely to dissolve it and pressing it against the sides of the bowl.
- 13Pour the mixture back into the pot, increase the heat to high, bring liquid to boil and reduce it until the sauce is very thick (about 5 minutes).
- 14Stir in the garam masala, cardamom, cloves, cayenne, and coconut, lower heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- 15Cook peas separately in boiling water until just tender (2-3 minutes), checking frequently.
- 16Cool them under cold running water and reserve.
- 17Just before serving, add the peas to the mixture, cook them just long enough to warm them and serve the dish.
- 18Garnished with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gari (tamarind Vegetable Vindaloo)
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 807.9
- Calories from Fat 525
- Total Fat 58.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 638.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 11.5 g