Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Serve this delicately spiced curry with naan bread or rice.
Make and share this Goan Chicken Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
For the marinade
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients to give you a loose, smooth paste. Add the chicken pieces and coat them in the paste. They are best left to marinate for around 30 minutes to 1 hour, but if you're in a hurry a few minutes will do.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop and jump about in the pan, add the onion and garlic. Cook until they're golden brown before adding the chicken and any extra paste from the marinade. Fry over a gentle heat for about 8 minutes before adding the coconut milk. Increase the heat slightly and bring to a simmer. Cook for a further 10-12 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly before seasoning with salt if necessary and serving with rice or naan bread.
Really easy to make and i had most of the ingrediants already. Quite spicey which we all enjoyed but if it was for kids omit Cayenne pepper or use only a little bit.
This is a reeeeeally good recipe. Didn't have mustard seeds, and I used crushed red pepper instead of cayenne--turned out very spicy and tasty. I'll make it again for sure!
added a little extra cayenne and chili and left the cumin out (didn't have any and neither did local store) but did everything the same. don't be fooled by the initial subtlety of the curry flavour, i was worried it would be too bland but it certainly wasn't. this is a really good curry that's very simple to make from scratch and is something a little different.