Serve plump prawns in a fragrant coconut curry sauce with perfect fluffy rice in this fabulous Goan-inspired recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the marinade
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 75 ml water
For the curry
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 500 g raw tiger shrimp, peeled
For the rice
- 1Mix together all of the marinade ingredients to create a smooth paste.
- 2Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add the onion and garlic.
- 3Cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4Stir in the spice paste.
- 5Fry over a gentle heat for 4-5 minutes, until the spices are aromatic.
- 6Stir in the coconut milk and prawns. Simmer for 5-6 minutes, until the prawns are cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
- 7In the meantime, wash the rice in several changes of cold water, to get rid of any excess starch.
- 8Place the rice in a saucepan with the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick and salt. Pour in the water.
- 9Bring to the boil, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 10 minutes. Do not remove the lid during the cooking time. Leave the rice to stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- 10Serve the prawn curry and rice together, with naan bread if desired.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Goan Prawn / Shrimp Curry
Serving Size: 1 (563 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 827.1
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 157.5 mg
- Sodium 1028.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 29.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: