Stolen from Sapna Magazine Online, edited for clarity. This version has 75% less fat and 60% fewer calories than the traditional Murgh Makhani. Edited 6/18/08 based on commenters.
- cooking spray
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup water
- Spray a 12" nonstick skillet with cooking spray and sear the chicken cubes. Once done, take the chicken out of the pan and put aside.
- Sauté onion in one teaspoon of canola oil on low heat.
- Add turmeric powder and sauté for another 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste and sauté another minute.
- Add butter, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, garam masala, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, cumin and sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken back to the pan and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in milk, yogurt, tomato puree, and water.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.