1/1 Photo of Indian Butter Chicken (Without the Butter)
1 hr 5 mins
Amazing flavour and the butter is not missed at all. Quite easy dish, don't let the long list of ingredients scare you off, it goes fast once you are at it, bring out all the spices in one go.Serve with rice and pappadums
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g chicken breasts (or chicken thighs or a mix of both)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup plain 1% yogurt
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 piece gingerroot, fresh (walnut size)
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (if you want a thicker sauce, can be omitted)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter (for browning of chicken)
- 1Can be made on stove top or in oven (if using oven preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Chop chicken pieces into bite size pieces or slightly larger, according to preference.
- 3In a large bowl mix chicken with onion, oil, cumin, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- 4To make the sauce, combine all ingredients from the cashews up to and including black pepper. Process until pureed using a blender, hand blender or a food processor.
- 5Melt butter in large heatproof (if cooking in oven) casserole pot.
- 6Brown chicken and onions turning to brown all sides well.
- 7Add cashew sauce to pot.
- 8Cover tightly and bake in oven (or cook on stovetop) for 40 minute.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Butter Chicken (Without the Butter)
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.0
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 90.9 mg
- Sodium 1076.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 34.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: