Amazing flavour and the butter is not missed at all. Quite easy dish, don't let the long list of ingredients scare you off, it goes fast once you are at it, bring out all the spices in one go.Serve with rice and pappadums
- 500 g chicken breasts (or chicken thighs or a mix of both)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted cashews
- 1⁄2 cup plain 1% yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 piece gingerroot, fresh (walnut size)
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (if you want a thicker sauce, can be omitted)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter (for browning of chicken)
- Can be made on stove top or in oven (if using oven preheat oven to 325°F.
- Chop chicken pieces into bite size pieces or slightly larger, according to preference.
- In a large bowl mix chicken with onion, oil, cumin, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, combine all ingredients from the cashews up to and including black pepper. Process until pureed using a blender, hand blender or a food processor.
- Melt butter in large heatproof (if cooking in oven) casserole pot.
- Brown chicken and onions turning to brown all sides well.
- Add cashew sauce to pot.
- Cover tightly and bake in oven (or cook on stovetop) for 40 minute.
I made this last night for dinner when neighbors joined us. None of us has ever had Butter Chicken so we had nothing to compare it to. There were four of us and reviews went from 3 to 5 so I gave the recipe and average of 4. This was easy enough for me to cook while visiting with everyone in the kitchen and there was a lot of surprise when the cashews came out. It was served with brown rice, a green salad and ginger iced tea. I'll make this again! P.S. No tomato paste in mine.
The family was split on this one. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT6 For the xtra hot dishes.
This was a nice easy recipe though I didn't really think it tasted much like an authentic butter chicken. I added the tomato paste since I like a thicker sauce but it ended up looking curdled so I had to add chicken broth to thin it out a bit.