Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Indian curry is ingredients and technique. Let the spices fry, if you do not spices will not get into chicken and if to long they will burn. You may have to try this recipe once or twice before you get the technique. WATCH YOU HEAT - YOU MAY HAVE TO ADJUST IF POT GETS TO HOT. ANY QUESTIONS JUST EMAIL ME.
You will need
- 2 lbs chicken legs
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons chili powder (I bought mine at an Indian store -don't use the Canadian chili powder)
- 4 teaspoons yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 medium onions, sliced (enough to cover bottom of pan)
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken up
- 1 cardamom, pod
- 2 curry leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced or 1 tablespoon garlic paste or 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, sliced (about one inch peeled) or 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 medium tomato (I use the 2 oval tomatoes, can't remember the name of them. not house tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Mix first 5 ingredients and rub with chicken and Marinade over night or for at least 4 hours.
- prepare the rest of the ingredients below before starting curry.
- I slice onions and put in a ceral bowl.
- then the first 4 spices (ingredients) in a little bowl and
- then in another bowl the next 4 spices. (READY TO USE).
- Marinade the chicken over night or for 4 hours.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat ( my pots really hold the heat so adjust you heat - if to hot turn down. (not to hot - if you drizzle water in pan and it sizzles it is hot enough).
- Add onions and fry till transparent or slightly golden brown. ( until oil rises - if you understand what that is).
- Add cinnamon, cardamon pod, curry leaves, and cloves. fry till oil rises.
- Add coriander, ginger, garlic, garamasala - continue frying till oil rises - add a bit of water if spices are sticking.
- Add marinated chicken and mix well with spices and let cook for 15 minutes ( cover chicken).
- Add tomatoe and salt and let cook - 5 minutes?.
- Add 3/4 cup of water to cover 1/2 chicken - add more water if you want more gravy.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir occasionally and let simmer for 20 -25 minutes.
- Serve with par boiled rice or Basmati rice.