1 hr 15 mins
Indian curry is ingredients and technique. Let the spices fry, if you do not spices will not get into chicken and if to long they will burn. You may have to try this recipe once or twice before you get the technique. WATCH YOU HEAT - YOU MAY HAVE TO ADJUST IF POT GETS TO HOT. ANY QUESTIONS JUST EMAIL ME.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
You will need
- 2 lbs chicken legs
- 1 1/4 tablespoons chili powder (I bought mine at an Indian store -don't use the Canadian chili powder)
- 4 teaspoons yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 medium onions, sliced (enough to cover bottom of pan)
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken up
- 1 cardamom, pod
- 2 curry leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced or 1 tablespoon garlic paste or 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, sliced (about one inch peeled) or 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 medium tomato (I use the 2 oval tomatoes, can't remember the name of them. not house tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1Mix first 5 ingredients and rub with chicken and Marinade over night or for at least 4 hours.
- 2prepare the rest of the ingredients below before starting curry.
- 3I slice onions and put in a ceral bowl.
- 4then the first 4 spices (ingredients) in a little bowl and
- 5then in another bowl the next 4 spices. (READY TO USE).
- 6Marinade the chicken over night or for 4 hours.
- 7Heat oil in pan over medium heat ( my pots really hold the heat so adjust you heat - if to hot turn down. (not to hot - if you drizzle water in pan and it sizzles it is hot enough).
- 8Add onions and fry till transparent or slightly golden brown. ( until oil rises - if you understand what that is).
- 9Add cinnamon, cardamon pod, curry leaves, and cloves. fry till oil rises.
- 10Add coriander, ginger, garlic, garamasala - continue frying till oil rises - add a bit of water if spices are sticking.
- 11Add marinated chicken and mix well with spices and let cook for 15 minutes ( cover chicken).
- 12Add tomatoe and salt and let cook - 5 minutes?.
- 13Add 3/4 cup of water to cover 1/2 chicken - add more water if you want more gravy.
- 14Bring to a boil.
- 15Stir occasionally and let simmer for 20 -25 minutes.
- 16Serve with par boiled rice or Basmati rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Chicken Curry
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.5
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 189.0 mg
- Sodium 1083.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 42.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: