Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Ultimate comfort food for me! Indian Spices in what is essentially mashed potatoes, this recipe is a family favorite out of the Moosewood New Classics cookbook. I particularly like to use whole-wheat tortillas when making these, and I almost always double the recipe because YUM! An excellent way to boost the protein content of this dish is to add soft tofu when mashing the potatoes with the cream cheese, or if vegan, use only the tofu and go for a very thick mashed potato texture.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese or 1⁄2 cup neufchatel cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove (minced or pressed)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh tomato (if doubling the recipe, I use 1 can diced tomatoes, well-drained)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (7 inches across) or 6 whole wheat chapati (if you can find them!)
- Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly oil a baking dish.
- Place the potatoes an dsalt in a small pot with water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes, until tender. When the potatoes are tender, drain and mash them with the cream cheese, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, warm the oil in a saucepan, and saute the onions and garlic on medium heat for about 10 minutes, until translucent (or, if you're brave, 20 minutes until a deep golden brown - but watch carefully to keep from burning!). Add the ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, and cayenne and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the peas and tomatoes, cover, and cook on low heat just long enough to heat through. Stir the cook vegetables and the lemon juice into the mashed potatoes. Add salt to taste.
- Place a generous 1/3 cup of the filling at the bottom of each wrap and roll it up. Place the wraps seam side down in the prepared baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 10-15 minutes, until hot.