We had been barbecuing quite some times this summer so i was getting bored as i am not that much into meat to begin with. We also had 2 pork chops in the fridge which we needed to use up. I came up with this Indian Dinner which was a huge success. I want to try it with chicken breasts next time but you can also use courgette instead and make it into a balanced vegetarian meal. It was a perfect barbecue night but still something else. We really like Indian food and this was easy to make and cheap. Everything I used was off the shelf so though it is a bit time consuming in preparation and cooking it was a blast. We liked fresh water or lassie with this.
For the meat
- 2 pork chops (you can also use 2 chicken breasts)
- 1 cup tandoori paste
For the cole-slaw
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup onion, shredded
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup water
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon saffron
For the sauce
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- indian papadum bread
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- mango chutney
- Spread meat with tandoori marinade and set aside.
- Melt butter in a pan and add onion.
- When the onion turned golden, add cabbage.
- When the cabbage turned soft, add carrots.
- Add water and shimmer with lid on for about 20 minutes.
- Add the spices when ready and stir.
- Put rice and water into another pot, when water boils add salt and saffron, stir once and cook until tender.
- In the meanwhile mix all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce and set aside.
- Heat grill (Note: if you are not using an outside gas grill you should start turning the oven to 220°C and grill the meat in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes).
- Grill the meat until tender.
- Spread oil over pappadums and heat them on the bread-shelf of your grill, be careful, this will be quick.
- Put some chutney into a nice bowl.
- Arrange everything around the dinner table, preferably in good quality china.
- Eat with fingers if you like.