1/2 Photos of Indian Snack Mix
A friend gave me this recipe. A woman from India created this using ingredients found in the U.S. She said it is similar to a snack mix her aunt made in India. The servings are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups Corn Chex
- 2 cups shredded wheat cereal, crushed
- 3 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 (12 ounce) package chow mein noodles
- 1 tablespoon red pepper powder or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon hing (Can be found in international grocery stores or omit)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 12 ounces Spanish peanuts
- 3/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion, added to individual servings
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, added to individual servings
- 1In a large bowl, mix cereals together. Do not mix in noodles.
- 2Heat oil in a large skillet. Fry mustard seeds and cumin seeds well.
- 3Add noodles and heat for approximately 2 minutes.
- 4Add other spices and mix well. Mix in peanuts. Add two handfuls of the cereal mix and mix well. Add oil mix to remaining cereal mix in bowl and stir well.
- 5Place in baking dish and cook in 250 degree oven for 25- 30 minutes.
- 6Serve in individual bowls. For each serving, stir in 1 tablespoon chopped onions and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, more or less to taste.
- 7You can also add more red pepper if you like foods that are EXTREMELY hot. Serve with something cold to drink.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Snack Mix
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 736.0
- Calories from Fat 498
- Total Fat 55.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 660.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
shredded wheat cereal