Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my own recipe that I created in my kitchen. Not for the faint of heart if spicy food gets to you! But, if you are like me and love hot food, this might become one of your favorites! Serve the curry over fresh steamed Basmati rice!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 -2 habaneros or 1 -2 serrano pepper, minced
- 14 curry leaves, shredded (can find at Asian or Indian markets but may omit)
- 1 lime, juice of, fresh
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 -3 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Cut up the chicken in bite size pieces and set aside. Mix all the spices together and put in a small bowl and set aside.
- Put the olive oil in a hot wok or medium-sized cooking pot.
- When oil is hot, add the onions and cook until golden. About 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced ginger and garlic to the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Continue cooking on medium-high heat. Stirring occasionally.
- Add the habanero (or serrano) peppers to the onion mixture and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir.
- Add the shredded curry leaves to the above mixture and stir well. Cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the spice mixture to the pot and stir all ingredients well. Cook on the same medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken to the pot and cook for 3 minutes on the same heat level.
- Add 2 cups of water and put a lid on the pot and cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Take the lid off the pot and cook the food on medium-high or high heat until most of the water evaporates and the chicken is well-cooked.
- Once the water is mostly gone add the lime juice, stir and cook on high heat for 2 minutes.
- That's it! You've created one of the best Indian dishes you could eat! I hope you enjoy it. I recommend serving this dish with steamed Basmati rice!