Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is not a curried chicken recipe,but, and old Indian method of roasting chicken. Stuffed with apricots, ground almonds and eggs, and served with a masala gravy it makes a centre piece for a Indian meal. All you have to add is the spiced vegetables of you choice.
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon warm milk
- 2 ounces butter
for the prepared stuffing
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, soaked till soft and chopped
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄4 cup white poppy seeds, ground
for the masala gravy
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 6 green cardamoms, split open
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 5 fluid ounces water
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- Mix together the saffron and nutmeg into the milk. Brush the chicken skin with the mixture and then pour the remaining milk into the body cavity.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and when hot brown the chicken all over, remove the chicken and set aside for stuffing.
- Using the same pan, in the remaining butter fry the chopped onions chillies, and sultanas, for 3 minutes Remove from the heat.
- Add the ground almonds, poppy seeds, apricots and eggs.
- Stuff the chicken with the mixture.
- In the same pan fry all off the masala ingredients over low heat for 4 mins, add the water and stir well.
- Place the chicken on the bed of masala, cover the pan and cook over medium heat till chicken is tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Serve the chicken with the masala gravy poured over and garnished with the coconut.
This was amazing, and so easy! I had no apricots, so doubled the sultanas. There was more stuffing than would fit inside the chicken, so I put it in with the gravy. An easy, yummy, gluten-free recipe. Thanks so much! This one's going to become a regular with us, the chicken just melted off the bone (and in the mouth)!