1/3 Photos of Indian Style Stuffed Roast Chicken
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Brian Holley's Note:
This is not a curried chicken recipe,but, and old Indian method of roasting chicken. Stuffed with apricots, ground almonds and eggs, and served with a masala gravy it makes a centre piece for a Indian meal. All you have to add is the spiced vegetables of you choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon warm milk
- 2 ounces butter
for the prepared stuffing
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, and chopped
- 1/3 cup dried apricot, soaked till soft and chopped
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped
- 1/3 cup sultana
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup white poppy seeds, ground
for the masala gravy
- 1Mix together the saffron and nutmeg into the milk. Brush the chicken skin with the mixture and then pour the remaining milk into the body cavity.
- 2Melt the butter in a large pan and when hot brown the chicken all over, remove the chicken and set aside for stuffing.
- 3Using the same pan, in the remaining butter fry the chopped onions chillies, and sultanas, for 3 minutes Remove from the heat.
- 4Add the ground almonds, poppy seeds, apricots and eggs.
- 5Stuff the chicken with the mixture.
- 6In the same pan fry all off the masala ingredients over low heat for 4 mins, add the water and stir well.
- 7Place the chicken on the bed of masala, cover the pan and cook over medium heat till chicken is tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- 8Serve the chicken with the masala gravy poured over and garnished with the coconut.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Style Stuffed Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 890.6
- Calories from Fat 565
- Total Fat 62.8 g
- Saturated Fat 22.0 g
- Cholesterol 298.4 mg
- Sodium 302.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 23.9 g
- Protein 47.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: