1/1 Photo of Karela (Bitter melon or gourd)
kusum gupta's Note:
As the name suggests, karela are bitter but are known to have therapeutic value, especially for those suffering from diabetes. When tomatoes and other vegetables are mixed with it, the bitterness is reduced. Traditionally people first scrape karela and remove the hard skin. Then they rub salt in them and let them rest for about 1 hour. Then they squeeze out bitter water before using. Karela can be used with any meal or in a sandwich or pita bread. You may prepare them in advance, and refrigerate or freeze them. Or you may freeze uncooked karela. Buy them fresh, when in season, and rinse, trim, and cut them before freezing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bitter melon (karela)
- 2 potatoes, peeled,cut in long strips and half cooked
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1Rinse bitter melon.
- 2Trim on both ends as needed and scrape any blemishes or hard skin.
- 3Cut into small rounds.
- 4Heat the oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- 5Add karela almost in a single layer; stir and cook until brownish.
- 6Reduce the heat if they tend to burn.
- 7Add the onions, potatoes and all the seasonings; stir until the potatoes are cooked.
- 8Add the tomatoes.
- 9Cook slowly on medium low heat, half covered, stirring as needed, until everything is cooked.
- 10Variation: To make STUFFED KARELA: Mix all the seasonings for stuffing, substituting 1 teaspoon cumin powder for cumin seeds.
- 11Using a paring knife, make a long slit in each karela, from one end to another (leaving two ends and bottom of the pod intact).
- 12Keep the slit open with your thumb and use a spoon to fill the opening with the stuffing.
- 13Stuff all the karela this way.
- 14Cook karela in a wide skillet using 2 tablespoons oil, almost in a single layer, on medium heat.
- 15Stir gently so that stuffing does not come out.
- 16When half cooked, add the onions.
- 17Reduce heat to medium low, cooking slowly, half covered or uncovered, until karela are browned.
Browse Our Top Melons Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Melons Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karela (Bitter melon or gourd)
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 89.7
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 298.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: