This is a great recipe based on one from Linda Fraser's cookbook, The Book of Curries & Indian Foods. Cook time doesn't include the 4 to 6 hours refrigeration time.
- Trim fat from lamb; cut lamb into 1 1/2 -inch cubes.
- Place lamb cubes in a bowl; add cumin, turmeric, salt, yogurt, onion, gingerroot and garlic.
- Mix together well; if desired, add enough coloring to give mixture a red tint.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
- Drain lamb from marinade and thread cubes onto eight short skewers, pressing cubes closely together.
- Preheat broiler or grill.
- Cook kabobs 15 to 20 minutes, or until done, basting kabobs with any remaining marinade and turning occasionally during cooking.
- The lamb is ready when it is browned on the outside and still slightly pink in the center.
- Sprinkle with Garam Masala and serve at once.
Beautiful! This had a lot of the elements a of a curry without the heat that can sometimes dominate a mild meat like lamb. I didn't use the optional food coloring and we both enojoyed along with a light salad.