1/2 Photos of Leg of Lamb in a Spicy Yogurt Sauce
3 hrs 20 mins
2 hrs 40 mins
This is delicious, I make this for special occasions, it also looks impressive. I do not find it too spicy just nicely spiced. A green vegetable and rice are good with this Raan masaledar!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 lbs leg of lamb
For the Sauce
- 2 ounces blanched almonds
- 8 ounces onions, coarsely chopped
- 8 cloves peeled garlic
- 4 pieces ginger, approx 1 inch,peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 fresh hot green chilies, coarsely chopped
- 20 fluid ounces plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 16 cardamom pods
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 10 black peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons sultanas
- 1 ounce blanched split almonds or 1 ounce slivered almonds
- 1Remove all the fat from the outside of the leg and the white skin, or ask your butcher to do it.
- 2Put the leg in a baking dish, stainless steel or glass is preferred because of the yogurt marinade.
- 3Put in your blender or food processor the almonds, onions, garlic, ginger, green chilies and about 3 tablespoons of the yogurt, process to a paste.
- 4The remaining yogurt you put in a dish, beat lightly until smooth, add the paste and the cumin, coriander, cayenne and garam masala, mix.
- 5Stab the lamb all over, making good deep cuts.
- 6Now the fun begins, using your hands push generous amounts of paste in the natural openings of the lamb, then in the cuts you made.
- 7Spread remaining paste all over and around the lamb, the side that will be up should get a thick layer.
- 8Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- 9When ready to bake, remove the lamb from the fridge and give it enough time to get to room temperature.
- 10Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 11Heat the oil in a small pan on a medium flame, when hot add the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and peppercorns, when the cloves swell, this just takes seconds pour the hot oil and the spices over the lamb.
- 12Cover the dish with its own lid or tightly with aluminum foil, bake covered for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- 13Remove the foil and bake for another 45 minutes or longer if you prefer.
- 14During this time baste the meat regularly with the sauce.
- 15Scatter, or make nice pattern, the sultanas and almonds over the top of lamb in the yogurt paste.
- 16Bake for another 5-6 minutes.
- 17Remove the dish from the oven; leave it a warm place for 15 minutes or so.
- 18Take the leg out of the pan, spoon the fat from the top of the sauce, strain the sauce and discard the whole spices.
- 19Serve the leg on a platter with the sauce poured around it.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leg of Lamb in a Spicy Yogurt Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (596 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1646.5
- Calories from Fat 1035
- Total Fat 115.0 g
- Saturated Fat 39.7 g
- Cholesterol 399.8 mg
- Sodium 2470.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 19.1 g
- Protein 118.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: