1/2 Photos of Lentil, Cabbage and Tomato Dal
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a recipe from Rose Elliot's 'The Vegetarian Kitchen' in the Guardian Weekend supplement. If you can't find toovar dal (check the Indian section of your supermarket) you can substitute yellow split peas, which works just fine and it says you could also use red lentils instead. I used 1 smallish head of savoy cabbage, which once I had trimmed it and shredded it worked out just above the correct weight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 ounces toovar dal
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped stewed tomatoes
- 8 -12 fresh curry leaves (if you're using dried double the amount)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (I use hot curry powder)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 9 ounces cabbage, shredded (that's roughly 1 small head of cabbage)
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- fresh coriander, chopped to serve
- 1Rinse the toovar dal well with plenty of hot water.
- 2Place water, tumeric and dal into a pan and bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 45 minutes. It should become very soft. (If you're using split peas or red lentils, this time might need adjusting.).
- 4Add the tomatoes and curry leaves to the pan and set aside.
- 5In another pan heat the olive oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook for a few seconds before adding the fenugreek and the curry powder.
- 6Now add the cabbage and onion. Cover and cook on a low heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- 7Now combine the contents of both pans and simmer for 20 more minutes, or until all vegetables are tender, over a low heat.
- 8Stir in lemon juice and season to taste.
- 9Serve topped with fresh corriander, either on it's own, over rice or with some roti. If you serve it with rice it'll be enough for four to five people.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil, Cabbage and Tomato Dal
Serving Size: 1 (721 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.3
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 342.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: