Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A wonderful dish we all enjoy.
Make and share this Lentil Kolas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup toor dal (yellow lentils)
- 4 red chilies
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 onion
- 3 stalks of fresh curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon coconut, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tomato
- 2 stalks curry leaves
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 2 cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- 2 teaspoons sambhar powder (Check note below)
- 1⁄4 cup tamarind pulp
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Wash the lentils well.
- Soak in water and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain water.
- Grind the lentils, red chillies, aniseeds and a little salt coarsely.
- Add to the ground mixture, the grated coconut, finely cut curry leaves and onions.
- Mix well.
- Make small lemon-sized balls out of it.
- Don't press the balls too hard as it may not get cooked inside.
- Place the balls in an idli cooker or pressure cooker (without weight).
- Steam it for 10 minutes till the kolas are cooked.
- Remove the kolas once they are ready.
- Keep aside.
- For gravy: Grind 1/2 cup of coconut and 1 tsp.
- aniseed together.
- Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Fry cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and a pinch of aniseeds for a minute.
- Add finely cut onions, garlic, curry leaves and saute till light brown.
- Add tomato and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water, salt, sambar powder and tamarind water.
- Let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the ground coconut-aniseed paste and mix well.
- When it begins to boil, add the kolas to it.
- Cover the pan.
- Allow it to cook on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Remove from flame.
- Garnish with corriander leaves.
- Serve with rice or rotis.
- Enjoy your meal!
- Note:If sambar powder is not available, use a mixture of 1/4 tsp.
- turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp.
- corriander powder and 1 tsp.
- red chilli powder.