Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A must-have to go with your favourite curry and poppadums! Don't forget to leave time to let it sit overnight.
- 2 kg fresh mango, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 kg brown sugar
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 large onions
- 10 small chilies
- 24 peppercorns
- 24 cloves
- 375 g raisins
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 liter apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and leave overnight.
- The next day, put everything in a heavy bottomed saucepan and cook slowly for two hours over a low heat.
- Put into sterilised jars while still warm and seal.
I made one lot of chutney subbing nectarines for the mangoes (otherwise followed your recipe). I made another batch using your quanties of fruit, vinegar, sugar but used tomatoes and apples and changed the spices (added turmeric, cumin seed, curry powder, mustard seeds) to make a very different chutney. Both are excellent and I'll be trying other fruits and seasonings to make more variations.
Very easy to make and tastes fabulous - I served this with some softened cream cheese on crackers - they disappeared very quickly!