7 hrs 15 mins
This is the best Tandoori chicken ever. Tangy. Spicy. Juicy. Soaked in delicious ghee.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 cup yoghurt, lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons ghee, melted
- 1Wash the chicken pieces and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- 2Make a couple of deep diagonal slits across the thickest part of each piece with a sharp knife.
- 3Steep the saffron thread in hot water for 15 minutes.
- 4Combine the steeped saffron threads and water with the salt and lemon juice and rub well into the chicken pieces, particularly into the cuts.
- 5Leave to marinate for 1 hour. Drain the liquid off from time to time and pour over the chicken pieces.
- 6Blend the onion, ginger, garlic and water in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- 7Dry-roast the coriander and cumin seeds in a small frying pan and then grind them in a spice-mill or coffee-grinder.
- 8Add the freshly ground spices to the yoghurt, along with the blended paste, the white pepper, garam masala, chili powder, and the nutmeg. Mix well to combine.
- 9Coat the chicken pieces with the marinade. Marinade for 4-6 hours or overnight, covered, in refrigerator.
- 10When the marination is complete, evenly apply the melted ghee to the chicken pieces.
- 11Grill the chicken on high until done.
- 12Alternatively, you could pre-heat an oven to 400°F, then arrange the chicken in a single layer on a rack in a shallow baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes. Brush with the melted ghee and bake for a further 10 minutes. Ideally, you should cook the chicken in a Tandoor oven, but very few people outside of India own these.
- 13Serve hot and enjoy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moghul Style Tandoori Chicken (Murgh Tandoori)
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.0
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 138.8 mg
- Sodium 1316.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 29.9 g