One of my favourite soups. I used to make gallons of this while working at a very classy country hotel; everybody loved it. I hope that you do too.
- 4 ounces onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 liter beef stock, stock cube is fine
- 1 ounce apple, chopped
- 1⁄4 ounce ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1 ounce desiccated coconut
- 1⁄2 ounce cooked rice
- Lightly brown the onion and garlic in the butter (you may use oil if you wish, but not olive oil).
- Mix in the flour and curry powder; cook for a few minutes, browning slightly.
- Mix in the tomato puree. Cool slightly.
- Gradually mix in the stock until smooth. Stir to the boil.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the rice. Season to your taste and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Liquidise soup to your preferred consistency.
- Add rice to serving bowl and pour hot soup over the top.