1/2 Photos of Mulligatawny Soup with Lentils
1 hr 27 mins
1 hr 7 mins
Tessa Morales's Note:
I love having this soup at my favorite Indian restaurant(s) on 6th Street in NYC!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons tandoori spice mix
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and diced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed well and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Puree the ginger and garlic in a blender or food processor.
- 2Heat oil and add onion and ginger and garlic, until tender.
- 3Add the mustard seed and cook until they begin to pop.
- 4Add in garam masal, tandoor spice mix, curry salt, cardamom and cayenne and stir to coat onion, ginger and garlic.
- 5Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6Add the stock and lentils and bring the mixture to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 1 hour, until the lentils are tender Stir in coconut milk and simmer 2 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat and stir in spinach and lemon juice and sugar (optional).
- 9Garnish with cilantro.
- 10Note: tandoori spice mix is available in Indian and gourmet food stores.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mulligatawny Soup with Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (2195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.6
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 419.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tandoori spice mix