Cook1 hr 7 mins
I love having this soup at my favorite Indian restaurant(s) on 6th Street in NYC!
Make and share this Mulligatawny Soup with Lentils recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons tandoori spice mix
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and diced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed well and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Puree the ginger and garlic in a blender or food processor.
- Heat oil and add onion and ginger and garlic, until tender.
- Add the mustard seed and cook until they begin to pop.
- Add in garam masal, tandoor spice mix, curry salt, cardamom and cayenne and stir to coat onion, ginger and garlic.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and lentils and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 1 hour, until the lentils are tender Stir in coconut milk and simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach and lemon juice and sugar (optional).
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Note: tandoori spice mix is available in Indian and gourmet food stores.