1/2 Photos of Mulligatawny Soup with Lentils
1 hr 27 mins
1 hr 7 mins
Tessa Morales's Note:
I love having this soup at my favorite Indian restaurant(s) on 6th Street in NYC!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons tandoori spice mix
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and diced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed well and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Puree the ginger and garlic in a blender or food processor.
- 2Heat oil and add onion and ginger and garlic, until tender.
- 3Add the mustard seed and cook until they begin to pop.
- 4Add in garam masal, tandoor spice mix, curry salt, cardamom and cayenne and stir to coat onion, ginger and garlic.
- 5Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6Add the stock and lentils and bring the mixture to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 1 hour, until the lentils are tender Stir in coconut milk and simmer 2 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat and stir in spinach and lemon juice and sugar (optional).
- 9Garnish with cilantro.
- 10Note: tandoori spice mix is available in Indian and gourmet food stores.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mulligatawny Soup with Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (2195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.6
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 419.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tandoori spice mix