Kozmic Blues's Note:
This recipe was posted in response to a request for a vegetarian curry with mushrooms. This comes from the original Moosewood Restaurant Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves or 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, juice reserved
- 2 medium green apples, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon honey, to taste
- fresh lemon juice, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- basmati rice, for serving
- 1Melt butter in large skillet.
- 2Add onions and garlic and saute over medium heat.
- 3After onions begin to soften, add spices and salt.
- 4Saute another 5-8 minutes until onions are completely softened.
- 5Add celery and mushrooms.
- 6Mix well, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7You can add up to 1/2 cup of water or reserved tomato juice to prevent sticking.
- 8When celery is tender, add tomatoes, apples, coconut, honey and lemon.
- 9cover and continue to cook until vegetable are tender, but not overly soft.
- 10Additional water may be added if pan gets too dry.
- 11Add cayenne to taste, remove from heat.
- 12Let curry stand, covered for another 10 minutes.
- 13Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Curry
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.8
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 973.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 23.0 g
- Protein 9.9 g