Indian spices and Italian dressing? YES! No tired old 'curry powder' here. Spiral noodles and colorful vegetables, all mixed up with a light Italian dressing and a shimmering Indian spice mix of its own...
- 3 cups rotini pasta
- 1 1⁄3 cups light Italian dressing, plus more as needed
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1⁄2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- chili flakes (optional)
Spice Mix (use 1 1/2 Tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 cup cumin seed
- 1⁄4 cup coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafetida powder
- Dry roast the Spice Mix spices, except for the ginger powder and the paprika. Whizz it to a powder in your coffee grinder, then mix in the ginger powder and paprika. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta until it is done but still somewhat firm. Rinse with cold water.
- Combine the pasta with the vegetables in a large bowl. Stir in the salad dressing. Add salt and 1 1/2 Tb of the spice mix.
- In a small skillet, heat a dab of oil until it is sizzle-hot. Add the black mustard seeds. As soon as they have quit popping, dump them in the pasta bowl.
- Mix everything together. Cover and refrigerate. It's best to let it chill at least an hour before chow time, if you can stand it.