Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
An easy to make dish made with red lentils, which is delicious.
Make and share this Nimbu Masoor Dal - Curried Lentils recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 lb red lentil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 green chili pepper, chopped
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat 1/3 cup of the oil in a large, deep saucepan over a medium-low heat and cook three-quarters of the sliced onion for about 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, lentils and ginger, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock, hot water and chili powder. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon half and add to the pan with the squeezed lemon shell. Cook for a further 50 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the lemon shell.
- Meanwhile, chop the remaining sliced onion, heat the remaining oil in a small frying-pan and cook the chopped onion, garlic, chili and bay leaves for about 10 minutes, until the onion is browned.
- Add this mixture, including the oil, to the lentils when they are cooked. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve hot.