1/1 Photo of No-Fry Karela Crispies (Bitter Melon)
Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
I was horrified, then fascinated, then in love with this strange (to me) little vegetable dish when I had it mixed with potatoes in a dry curry at my local Indian vegetarian lunch counter. It's a very strong flavor, so if you make this and aren't yet familiar with it, you've been warned! ;o) I haven't yet tried it, but I'm looking around for various bitter melon recipes (aka bitter gourd).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to about 375°F.
- 2Wash the bitter melon and slice them using a mandolin slicer into thin round slices.
- 3Mix with salt, turmeric and chilli powder and marinate for about 1/2 an hour. Squeeze excess moisture out.
- 4Spread foil on a baking tray and grease it with about a tbsp oil. Toss the bitter melon slices with 2 tbsp oil and spread them on the baking tray.
- 5Bake for about 5-7 mins and then broil it for 7 minutes Depending on the type of your oven, the broiling might be a few mins more or less. Crispy Karela -- without frying!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Fry Karela Crispies (Bitter Melon)
Serving Size: 1 (5 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.5
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: