I was horrified, then fascinated, then in love with this strange (to me) little vegetable dish when I had it mixed with potatoes in a dry curry at my local Indian vegetarian lunch counter. It's a very strong flavor, so if you make this and aren't yet familiar with it, you've been warned! ;o) I haven't yet tried it, but I'm looking around for various bitter melon recipes (aka bitter gourd).
- Preheat the oven to about 375°F.
- Wash the bitter melon and slice them using a mandolin slicer into thin round slices.
- Mix with salt, turmeric and chilli powder and marinate for about 1/2 an hour. Squeeze excess moisture out.
- Spread foil on a baking tray and grease it with about a tbsp oil. Toss the bitter melon slices with 2 tbsp oil and spread them on the baking tray.
- Bake for about 5-7 mins and then broil it for 7 minutes Depending on the type of your oven, the broiling might be a few mins more or less. Crispy Karela -- without frying!