1 hr 5 mins
From Pat Chapman's Curry Club, Indian Restaurant Cookbook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 350 g okra
- 3 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 115 g fresh tomatoes (or tinned)
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 4 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, slightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, slightly crushed
- 1Wash the okra and cut off the stalks. Prick them 2 or 3 times but don't chop them. Blanch in a little boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Strain and discard the water, which will be fairly sticky. Wash the okra in cold water.
- 2Heat the oil and fry Spices 1 for two or three minutes.
- 3Add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry for 10 minutes. Stir regularly.
- 4Meanwhile make Spices 2 into a paste with a little water. Add to the onion mix and fry for a further 10 minutes.
- 5Add the okra, tomatoes, green pepper, chillies and a little water and simmer for 30 minutes, adding water as needed.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Okra Curry (Bindi Bhajee)
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.0
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: