Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Pat Chapman's Curry Club, Indian Restaurant Cookbook
Make and share this Okra Curry (Bindi Bhajee) recipe from Food.com.
- 350 g okra
- 3 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 115 g fresh tomatoes (or tinned)
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 4 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, slightly crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafetida powder
- Wash the okra and cut off the stalks. Prick them 2 or 3 times but don't chop them. Blanch in a little boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Strain and discard the water, which will be fairly sticky. Wash the okra in cold water.
- Heat the oil and fry Spices 1 for two or three minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry for 10 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Meanwhile make Spices 2 into a paste with a little water. Add to the onion mix and fry for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the okra, tomatoes, green pepper, chillies and a little water and simmer for 30 minutes, adding water as needed.