1/2 Photos of PANEER (Fresh Cheese)
kusum gupta's Note:
Fresh cheese can be used soft (almost like Ricotta cheese) or drained of all liquid and made into small pieces. It is great in vegetables or as snack.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To make about a pound of paneer, heat 1 gallon of milk in a large pot that allows enough space for milk to boil.
- 2When milk is about to boil, immediately add 4 to 5 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of vinegar (can substitute cream of tartar for lemon juice and vinegar).
- 3You may optionally add 1 cup of plain yogurt too.
- 4Be careful that milk does not boil over; lower heat if needed.
- 5Simmer until the milk curdles (cheese separates from clear liquid (whey)).
- 6Use more lemon juice or vinegar as needed.
- 7Turn off the heat.
- 8Strain the cheese in a large sieve set over a bowl and lined with a thin muslin cloth or cheesecloth.
- 9Mash the cheese to make it smooth.
- 10Let it drain.
- 11Note: Instead of discarding the whey, you may use it as a substitute for water in soups or dough.
- 12Drain it as much as possible (couple of hours) till no liquid can be squeezed out.
- 13Blend the cheese with hand or in a food processor to make it smooth.
- 14Spread it evenly, about half inch thick on a cloth on flat board lined with paper towels.
- 15Fold the cloth over on four sides and cover the top.
- 16Put more paper towels on top.
- 17Put a large flat-bottomed skillet filled with water on top to put pressure to drain excess liquid.
- 18Change paper towels if they get wet.
- 19After 30 to 45 minutes, when paper towels appear dry, unwrap the cheese.
- 20Cut paneer; into ½ to ¾" cubes (or strips) and use without frying or fry as follows.
- 21To fry, heat about 4 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- 22Lightly brown the cubes on all sides while turning with a slotted spatula.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for PANEER (Fresh Cheese)
Serving Size: 1 (3957 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.2
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 18.2 mg
- Sodium 63.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 4.2 g