The prawns are cooked in a sauce made with coconnut and tomato puree, and yogurt. Fresh prawns have the better flavour if you can afford them. Intersting to cook, this dish goes well with a vegetable curry, and plain boiled rice.
- 1 lb prawns, meat thawed and drained
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 ounces desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 ounces tomato puree
- 1⁄2 pint plain yogurt
- In a non-stick pan melt the butter and fry the onion till golden.
- Add the coconut to the pan and fry till brown, do not allow the coconut to stick to the pan.
- Stir in the spices and the yogurt followed by the tomato puree, stir again. If the liquid is too thick add a few spoons of water.
- Bring to the boil and add the prawns, lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice and a vegetable curry of your choice.